I added an undergraduate AI project I wrote called A Study of Selected Algorithms Against the Sherlock and Zebra Problems to the Wild Tech “Garden” . It was an interesting exercise as the original report was written in DocBook , but an older version (3.x; the SGML variant) than is readily available nowadays.
The document required some work to achieve conversion for this site1. There were, however, only a few ‘patterns’ that needed to be fixed throughout the document.
- The document had been split up into smaller files using entities. The first step was was to replace that approach which a single document.
- Most SGML entities needed to be replaced with the appropriate UTF-8 characters. For instance ≠ needed to replaced by ≠.
- Citations with linked cross references were not readily available with the tools at hand so I replaced them with simple (non-hyperlinked) citations (and updated the bibliography so match the citation notation).
- Code blocks no longer use the <literallayout> tags and now use <programlisting> tags.
- There were a few syntax errors.
- Added the DocBook 4.1.2 DTD and made the file a ‘.xml’ file.
Once those changes were fixed, all that was required was to use Pandoc to convert to ‘GitHub Flavoured Markdown’ using the command line:
pandoc --from docbook --to gfm --output cis4570-project.md ReportFull.xml