Resume: Daniel F. Dickinson
What is in this article
email@example.com | www.wildtechgarden.ca | www.danielfdickinson.ca
Creating opportunities to follow a passion for life and tech for the common good.
- Cloud Computing: OpenStack, Puppet, Terraform, Ansible, CI, CD, SSL
- DevOps/System Administration: Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, Alpine), Windows, SSH
- Software Development: C, Git, Python, Bash, Node.js, WSL, Visual Studio Code, Vi
- Virtualization: Qemu/KVM, Libvirt, Docker, Packer (some Hyper-V, Xen, Vagrant)
- Embedded Linux: OpenWrt, Yocto/OpenEmbedded, ARM, MIPS, Cross-Compiling
Developer, Blogger & Website Operator • Daniel Dickinson
2018 — 2023
- Created and administered a website and three blogs.
- Authored articles and created and edited graphics and photos.
- Created, used, and modified website themes.
- https://www.danielfdickinson.ca — Resume and technical blog
- https://www.wildtechgarden.ca — Technical and educational website
- https://www.princesandmadmen.ca — Political, creative and mental health blog
Software Developer & DevOps • Turnberry Solutions
2015 — 2016
- Automated provisioning and deployment of OpenStack and AWS instances using Packer, Puppet, and Terraform.
- Automated configuration roll-out using Puppet and a Git/Puppet master in-house integrated system combined with an RPM repository, including detailed documentation.
- Developed various software in Python and Go, including software to find the type of devices connected to a telecommunications system.
Software Developer & DevOps • Yoh (Day & Zimmermann)
2014 — 2015
- See Turnberry Solutions (same client, different intermediary).
Firmware Developer • PowerCloud Systems
2011 — 2014
- Participated in the design and realization of a breakthrough cloud-based home networking solution in a fast-paced start-up environment, including developing, testing, troubleshooting, and bug-fixing using improvement on the techniques developed for an earlier cloud-based AP solution.
- Supplied technical help and advice related to the products to the QA team and the executive team.
Software Consultant • SMB Phone Inc
2010 — 2010
- Offered design advice on a hardware CPE VoIP device and designed prototype firmware.
Firmware and Software Developer • Vertical Communication
2009 — 2010
- Created a web front-end for the FreeSWITCH softswitch based on OpenWrt (Lua).
- Created a prototype web-based provisioning system for a VoIP device using Perl and designed a RESTful version.
Intern • Vertical Communications
2009 — 2009
- Enabled existing hardware VoIP device to use OpenWrt in preparation for enabling VoIP services through FreeSWITCH softswitch.
Part-time Independent Consultant • Daniel Dickinson
2003 — 2009
- Performed public service works, including helping non-technical users, developing, and documenting for open-source projects, and building, configuring, and distributing computers for free, at one point producing a custom Debian-based distribution for use on old hardware (XFCE-based).
- Became an OpenWrt and LuCI developer and earned commit access.
Programmer Analyst / Technician • C & I Technologies
1998 — 2002
- Designed and developed database projects in Borland C++ Builder, as well as websites, Java applets, and documentation.
- Designed, developed, and deployed a custom Java applet for graphical design and requesting sales quotes for module dock systems through to order-entry and matching with payments.
Undergraduate Teaching assistant • University of Guelph
1998 — 1998
- Taught lab sections and graded projects for two different semesters.
- Advised students on course material.
Accounts Payable Clerk • Autocom Manufacturing
1997 — 1997
- Performed invoice and purchase order receiving.
- Matched invoices and purchase orders.
- Entered data into an AS/400-based accounting system
- Consulted with other employees about incomplete or delayed information reporting.
Production Support • Crate Designs (Heirloom Canada)
1995 – 1996
- Moved to a perpetual inventory system using MISys and ACCPAC.
- Maintained inventory records (item lists and inventory).
- Produced production scheduling reports.
Data Entry and Processing Assistant • Dr. David L.G. Noakes, University of Guelph
1995 — 1995
- Entered data for a private library of research papers on Ichthyology.
- Entered and processed data for a paper by a research assistant of Dr. Noakes.
Accounting Clerk • Prior Resource Group (various clients)
1994 — 1994
- Coordinated four employees for preparation of incoming cheques/cash.
- Performed A/R duties and filing.
- Performed A/P data-entry.
Typesetter • Ontarion
1993 — 1993
- Performed entry and layout of ads (text-only ads).
Youth Literacy Assistant • Wellington County Literacy Council
1992 — 1992
- Promoted youth literacy including creating advertisements and administering a youth writing contest.
Volunteer Tutor • Gateway Centre for Learning
2018 — 2023
- Tutored learners to help them reach higher literacy levels in English and technology.
- Planned, prepared, and used existing materials to support learning.
Member, Midland Accessibility Advisory Committee • Town of Midland
2018 — 2022
- Reviewed site plans for accessibility issues.
- Reviewed other town matters for accessibility related concerns under the AODA (Accessibility for Ontarions with Disabilities Act).
Volunteer Maker • Midland Public Library
2017 — 2023
- Created and presented talks on various talks on various computing topics for adults.
- Taught basic electronics and coding, quite enthusiastically, to a group of children 8 to 12 years old as part of team of volunteers a “Bot & Bytes” workshop series.
- Participated and offered advice as a member of the Makerspace Advisory Group.
Open-Source Developer • Various Online/Offline Projects
2004 — 2023
Collaborated with international teams on projects such as OpenWrt, various Hugo themes, and more.
Added projects to which I created, or to which I have contributed, in GitHub repositories at https://github.com/danielfdickinson moving to https://gitlab.com/danielfdickinson).
Contributed directly and indirectly to Linux kernel (search for “Dickinson” in the source).
Created a custom Debian-derived distribution for use on old computers.
Assisted Bruce-Grey Linux Users Group in refurbishing old computers for United Way clients (STARS project).
Website Designer • United Way, Guelph
2001 — 2001
- Designed and deployed a website for the Guelph United Way which enabled the campaign associates to easily add news items.
- The site as it was (except graphics) can be viewed via the Wayback Machine at https://web.archive.org/web/20011127114724/http://www.unitedwayguelph.com/
President of Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Club • Central Student Association, University of Guelph
1997 — 1999
- Performed executive duties for the SFFH including promotion, activities, membership matters, and administrative duties.
- Currently cross-skilling in Microsoft’s PowerPlatform and working toward several certifications
- Smart Serve® • Ontario Government Online Certification (expired due to Cannabis Act) • 2020
- 3D Printer and Laser Cutter Certifications • MPL MakerPlace • 2019
- Tutor Training • Gateway Centre for Learning • 2018
- WHMIS • Online certification • 2016
- Soft Skills Solutions® • HERO Centre • 2016
- Volunteer Training • CMHA, Hanover • 2005
- Bachelor of Computing / Baccalaureate in Computing • University of Guelph • 2003
- OSSD (OAC) • ADHS • 1992
- Dean’s Honour List • University of Guelph • 1997
- J.A. Howsen Brocklebank Grade Thirteen Award (First): Highest in school on best seven O.A.C credits • ADHS • 1992
- J.A. Howsen Brocklebank Award: For male who contributed most to high school life • ADHS • 1992
- Special School Letter • ADHS • 1992
- School Letter • ADHS • 1991