What is in this article
Creating opportunities to follow a passion for life and tech for the common good.
- Cloud Computing: OpenStack, Puppet, Terraform, Ansible, CI, CD, SSL
- DevOps/System Administration: Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, Alpine), Windows, SSH
- Software Development: C, Git, Python, Bash, Node.js, WSL, Visual Studio Code, Vi
- Virtualization: Qemu/KVM, Libvirt, Docker, Packer (some Hyper-V, Xen, Vagrant)
- Embedded Linux: OpenWrt, Yocto/OpenEmbedded, ARM, MIPS, Cross-Compiling
Developer, Blogger & Website Operator • Daniel Dickinson
2018 - 2023
- Created and administered a website and three blogs.
- Authored articles and created and edited graphics and photos.
- Created, used, and modified website themes.
- https://www.danielfdickinson.ca — Resume and technical blog
- https://www.wildtechgarden.ca — Technical and educational website
- https://www.princesandmadmen.ca — Political, creative and mental health blog
Software Developer & DevOps • Turnberry Solutions
2015 - 2016
- Automated provisioning, and deployment of OpenStack and AWS instances using Packer, Puppet, and Terraform.
- Automated configuration roll-out using Puppet and a Git/Puppet master in-house integrated system combined with an RPM repository, including detailed documentation.
- Developed various software in Python and Go, including software to find the type of devices connected to a telecommunications system.
Software Developer & DevOps • Yoh (Day & Zimmermann)
2014 - 2015
- See Turnberry Solutions (same client, different intermediary).
Firmware Developer • PowerCloud Systems
2011 - 2014
- Participated in the design and realization of a breakthrough cloud-based home networking solution in a fast-paced start-up environment, including developing, testing, troubleshooting, and bug-fixing using improvement on the techniques developed for an earlier cloud-based AP solution.
- Supplied technical help and advice related to the products to the QA team and the executive team.
Software Consultant • SMB Phone Inc
2010 - 2010
- Offered design advice on a hardware CPE VoIP device and designed prototype firmware.
Firmware and Software Developer • Vertical Communication
2009 - 2010
- Created a web front-end for the FreeSWITCH softswitch based on OpenWrt (Lua).
- Created a prototype web-based provisioning system for a VoIP device using Perl and designed a RESTful version.
Intern • Vertical Communications
2009 - 2009
- Enabled existing hardware VoIP device to use OpenWrt in preparation for enabling VoIP services through FreeSWITCH softswitch.
Part-time Independent Consultant • Daniel Dickinson
2003 - 2009
- Performed public service works, including helping non-technical users, developing, and documenting for open-source projects, and building, configuring, and distributing computers for free, at one point producing a custom Debian-based distribution for use on old hardware (XFCE-based).
- Became an OpenWrt and LuCI developer and earned commit access.
Programmer Analyst / Technician • C & I Technologies
1998 - 2002
- Designed and developed database projects in Borland C++ Builder, as well as websites, Java applets, and documentation.
- Designed, developed, and deployed a custom Java applet for graphical design and requesting sales quotes for module dock systems through to order-entry and matching with payments.
Undergraduate Teaching assistant • University of Guelph
1998 - 1998
- Taught lab sections and graded projects for two different semesters.
- Advised students on course material.
Accounts Payable Clerk • Autocom Manufacturing
1997 - 1997
- Performed invoice and purchase order receiving.
- Matched invoices and purchase orders.
- Entered data into an AS/400-based accounting system.
- Consulted with other employees about incomplete or delayed information reporting.
Production Support • Crate Designs (Heirloom Canada)
1995 - 1996
- Moved to a perpetual inventory system using MISys and ACCPAC.
- Maintained inventory records (item lists and inventory).
- Produced production scheduling reports.
Data Entry and Processing Assistant • Dr. David L.G. Noakes, University of Guelph
1995 - 1995
- Entered data for a private library of research papers on Ichthyology.
- Entered and processed data for a paper by a research assistant of Dr. Noakes.
Accounting Clerk • Prior Resource Group (various clients)
1994 - 1994
- Coordinated four employees for preparation of incoming cheques/cash.
- Performed A/R duties and filing.
- Performed A/P data-entry.
Typesetter • Ontarian
1993 - 1993
- Performed entry and layout of ads (text-only ads).
Youth Literacy Assistant • Wellington County Literacy Council
1992 - 1992
- Promoted youth literacy including creating advertisements and administering a youth writing contest.
Board Member • Midland Public Library
2023 - Present
- Trained for roles and responsibilities of the position of board member for an accredited Ontario Public Library through opportunities from the Ontario Library Service and the Midland Public Library board member portal.
- Reviewed, queried, and commented on financial reports as a member of the Finance Committee.
- Reviewed, queried, and commented on policies of the library as a Policy Committee member.
Tutor and Retail Clerk • Gateway Centre for Learning
2018 - Present
- Provided tutoring in English, academics, and technology including planning and preparing material.
- Provided customer assistance and sales for Gateway’s Bookmark Used Books
Volunteer Maker • Midland Public Library
2017 - Present
- Created and presented talks on various talks on various computing topics for adults.
- Taught basic electronics, coding, and robotics, quite enthusiastically, to a group of children eight to twelve years old as part of team of volunteers for a “Bot & Bytes” workshop series.
- Participated in and offered advice to MPL as a member of the Makerspace Advisory Group.
Member, Midland Accessibility Advisory Committee • Town of Midland
2018 - 2022
- Reviewed site plans for accessibility issues.
- Reviewed other town matters for accessibility related concerns under the AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act).
Open-Source Developer • Various Online/Offline Projects
2004 - 2023
- Collaborated with international teams on projects including OpenWrt, various Hugo themes, and more.
- Added projects to which I created, or have contributed, at https://github.com/danielfdickinson.
- Contributed directly and indirectly to Linux kernel (search for “Dickinson” in the source).
- Created a custom Debian-derived distribution for use on old computers.
- Assisted Bruce-Grey Linux Users Group in refurbishing old computers for United Way clients (STARS project).
Website Designer • United Way, Guelph
2001 - 2001
- Designed and deployed a website for the Guelph United Way which enabled the campaign associates to easily add news items.
- The site as it was (except graphics) can be viewed via the Wayback Machine at https://web.archive.org/web/20011127114742/http://www.unitedwayguelph.com/
President of Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Club • Central Student Association, University of Guelph
1997 - 1999
- Performed executive duties for the SFFH including promotion, activities, membership matters, and administrative duties.
Cross-skilling in Microsoft’s PowerPlatform and working toward several certifications
Smart Serve® • Ontario Government Online Certification (expired due to Cannabis Act)
3D Printer and Laser Cutter Certifications • MPL MakerPlace
Tutor Training • Gateway Centre for Learning
WHMIS • Online certification
Soft Skills Solutions® • HERO Centre
Volunteer Training • CMHA, Hanover
Bachelor of Computing / Baccalaureate in Computing • University of Guelph
OSSD (OAC) • ADHS
Dean’s Honours List • University of Guelph
J.A. Howsen Brocklebank Grade Thirteen Award (First): Highest in school on best seven O.A.C credits • ADHS
J.A. Howsen Brocklebank Award: For male who contributed most to high school life • ADHS
Special School Letter • ADHS
School Letter • ADHS